It seems like every week, some celebrity is releasing a statement that he or she has entered rehab. From Britney Spears to Mel Gibson to Charlie Sheen, we’ve watched many stars’ spiraling addictions and chaos from the front-row, and aren’t at all surprised to hear that they have entered (or reentered) a rehab center for treatment. But for every Lindsay Lohan or Pete Doherty who repeatedly makes the front pages of tabloids for stumbling out of bars after nights of excess, there’s a star who has chosen to keep his or her struggles with addiction and sobriety private. Below is a list of six celebrities who you might not know carry chips in their pockets.
- Bradley Cooper – This week, People’s 2011 “Sexiest Man Alive” revealed that he had struggled with drug and alcohol addiction throughout his 20’s. In a candid interview with The Hollywood Reporter, he recalled one of his low points. “I was at a party and deliberately bashed my head on the concrete floor – like, ‘Hey, look how tough I am!’ And I came up, and blood dripped down. And then I did it again. I spent the night at St. Vincent’s Hospital with a sock of ice, waiting for them to stitch me up.” Bradley is eight years sober. Congratulations!
- Demi Moore – Due to a very public meltdown following her separation from Ashton Kutcher, most of us are aware of Demi Moore’s recent struggles and trip to rehab. However, she has been an addict for years and had such a severe cocaine problem in the 1980’s that the director of St. Elmo’s Fire threatened to kick her out of the movie if she didn’t sober up.
- Ben Affleck – Remember the times when Ben Affleck went from Hollywood Golden Boy to the star of laughably bad flicks like Reindeer Games? Well, in between there, he was a raging party boy who would spend days at a time gambling and drinking in Vegas. After a bender in 2001, he drank so much that he realized he was “just one bad night away from a big E! True Hollywood Story” and drove himself straight to rehab. He’s been sober ever since.
- Kelly Preston – Although some of us might understand why being married to John Travolta could drive someone to rehab, let’s not forget she was engaged to Charlie Sheen before we pass blame. Earlier this year, Kelly came out as a former addict who abused marijuana, Ecstasy, cocaine, and Quaaludes, stating, “Now I don’t drink anymore. I don’t smoke anymore. I don’t do drugs anymore. All of those come with an ‘anymore.’ I used to do everything and a lot of everything.”
- Eva Mendes – Have you ever wondered how Eva maintains her killer body and fresh looks? It’s thanks to clean living. In 2008, she entered a rehab facility for unknown reasons and has been hesitant to discuss it, stating, “I have to think of the pain it might bring my mother.” She has credited regular therapy sessions with helping her cope with her issues and keep her on the straight and narrow.
- Daniel Radcliffe – The Harry Potter alum once felt like he needed a little more than magic to let loose and have some fun. “I became so reliant on alcohol to enjoy stuff. There were a few years there when I was just so enamored with the idea of living some sort of famous person’s lifestyle that really isn’t suited to me,” he said of his alcohol addiction in 2011.